10.31.2008

Being a vegetarian...

So I have been a vegetarian for about 4days and a half now. I decided to stop and reflect on what I actually achieved by doing so.
I feel a lot healthier. Sometimes it drove me nuts seeing people eating meat or just smelling it around, but somehow I could restrain myself from biting into one.
There are a couple of good things about being a vegetarian. First it makes you feel and eat healthier, but I guess that also depends on how you choose and diversify your menu. For example, I can be a vegetarian by just eating bread and still feel sick and overweight. On the other hand, I can be a healthy vegetarian by choosing to eat more veggies, salad, fruit, tofu, rice and watever that is non-meat. My 4days and a half focuses on diversifying my eating items. It was quite difficult, but not impossible. I used to even say I would die if I can't have meat in a day... now that statement seems pathetic :)
2nd thing, people says being a vegetarian can help you become less bad-tempered, which is a character I possess. The nutritions and vitamin in fruits and veggies plays an important part in balancing your mineral intakes and increase your blood flow. (excuse my non-scientific language). Other theory which I just heard today was that, meat are produced by slaughtering animals during which time they were under so much pain and distress. Therefore, the meat output from there pertains that pain and distress of the animal while being killed... As a result, if you eat meat, you take in yourself that pain and distress, and you will have a bad-tempered. It is not scientifically, but it makes sense to me. Sometimes I take those explanations pretty seriously.
3rd thing, I can contribute more for a cleaner enviroment by eating no meat. Cattles have been raised just to get killed and be served as food for us. That process exhausts the land, the cycle of biological world and the environment.
I actually became more environmental conscious after watching "An Inconvenient Truth", a documentary film on Global Warming by Al Gore. I highly recommend this!!!!!

Anyway, I think I will do this on a regular basis, maybe a week per month! :)

2 comments:

Chue said...

a vegetarian? how can you survive..... i am getting tired of all the vegetables i'm eating with my host family lol. i want more meat! xP

Hang Pham said...

haha, i know, i thought i would never be able to do that, but you know, it was just a piece of cake.

lol, yeah, I felt the same way when I was living with my host fam :D my advice, try to cook some american food or Hmong food to ur host fam hehe